Friday 1 June 2012

National Pet Microchipping Month


Here in the UK June is National Microchipping Month for pets. If any of you bloggy pets out there haven't heard about microchipping it's a way our peeps can help to keep us safe by making sure if we are ever lost... or even stolen :-( .. the little microchip in our shoulder can tell who we really belong to. We know about lost dogs and cats that have been reunited with their owners even miles away from where they are found because the microchip scanner showed up their number and the owners were traced.


It just takes a few seconds to put the chip in - a quick jab (ouch) and then it's all done. I would like to tell you that it isn't painful...but maybe that wouldn't be quite true :-( On the plus side it is very quick and you get lots of treats and cuddles for being brave. And of course it's a once in a lifetime jab and then your peeps will feel happy knowing you can be traced back to them if you are ever lost.
I was microchipped when I came to live with Judith & Leigh and all my pups have been microchipped so that when they go to their new owners they can be linked to their name and address too. We wanted to make sure they were registered to the right address in case the new owners were so excited about having their pup they forgot to change the details. Sadly some peeps do forget these sort of things and don't let the microchip company know when they move house or change their phone numbers. So if you are microchipped try and get your peeps to remember to keep their details up to date :-)


This is a picture of my little boy Otto the day he left here to join his new family with his bag of goodies and his paperwork including microchip details.
If any of you saw my blog review a few weeks ago about the smart phone app mydogUK they will know it has a lost pet service which is very helpful for pets who are microchipped and go astray. And this month only there is a special offer available to let peeps who are registered with Petlog upgrade to Petlog Premium online for only £7.50! This means you get all sorts of other freebies and can change your details for free for life :-)


My boy Merlin thinking there can be a lot of things to worry about when you're a young pup.

I hope this post has not been too serious for you - but we get very upset when we hear about pets going missing and their owners never finding them again. At least with this microchip there is more chance the pets can be reunited with their owners quickly. And just as a taster for the weekend - here in the UK we are celebrating the Queen's Diamond Jubilee with parties galore for dogs and peeps so my next blog should have some fun pictures and I can tell you about what we got up to in our celebrations. See you soon...!

11 comments:

  1. We are chipped! You just never know! Thank you for the reminder for everyone! Have fun this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We aren't chipped. I don't think we have such a service in our city. This is why most of the dogs here are tied and chained, which is sad. If the house isn't enclosed in a fence, the dogs are just left to wander the streets. It is quite unsafe.

    What's in Otto's goody bag? Is it dog food? Are there toys in there?

    Huggies and Cheese,

    HAopee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We put various things in Otto's goody bag - there is a picture on the 12 May post (A Birthday and a Farewell). There is a tin of his current food; a poop bag holder with bags; a toy; a book of dog training; a little album of photos from when he was born etc - just some things to take with him to his new family as a kind of link from his old home to his new one :-)

      Delete
  3. Great post! All of our dogs have always been micro chipped. I just think it can be the key in finding a pet if they get lost. I know it puts my mind at ease knowing Fred and Gloria are both chipped! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep - I am micro-chipped! It's definitely a good idea!
    Stewey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found a little shihtzu dog at my gate last year, so I let him into my garden so he wouldn't wander onto the main road. I phoned the dog warden and thankfully when she scanned him he was microchipped. She would have returned him to his owner. I never found out where he came from but I think he was looking for love from Amber and Annie...sorry little dog, it wasn't happening :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are all microchipped except HER.

    Otto look so cute there with his luggage. We hope to hear some updates on those pups.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are chipped...it's a good thing!

    Wyatt and Stanzie

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are both micro chipped! and we can't wait to hear about the Jubilee celebrations-our Mommy loves all the coverage :)
    Wags,
    Maddy and Owen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Magic, it's not too serious, it's just brilliant to remind everyone. I had my chip when I was a pup.

    I love that all of your pups have their tails. When my people picked me out the day after I was born my tail was already docked. Luckily they didn't let the breeders crop my ears. It's still very common practice here in the US, but if I get a schnauzer brother or sister, they will get to keep their tail.

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really agree with your post that microchips are very essential for our pet while they lost. These chips useful to find the pet easily.

    happy-shop.co.uk

    ReplyDelete