Monday 17 October 2011

Convalescence and Calming Bands


I had a little message from our schnauzer pals Dex & Lou wondering if all is well here so I thought I would do a little post to let you know we're all still OK. Here's me and Caoimhe lying on the rug by the cooker to keep warm - it is getting very cold here now at night. Judith & Leigh have both been quite poorly with colds and coughs and sore throats that made their voices all squeaky but they're getting better now so I've been able to get going on the computer again :-)


Caoimhe is taking no chances on getting a cold and has a little jumper on to keep her warm. I have one too but I try not to wear it for photographs. Actually Caoimhe has been in disgrace a bit here too because she is so-o barky with dogs and people she meets. Sweet as anything at home and then as soon as she goes out and sees a dog or some person decides to try and talk to her she goes WILD! So Judith & Leigh are trying all sorts of remedies to try and calm her down. She's had her food changed for some new crunchy kibble, she has some herbal calming tablets...and this strange thing called a 'calming band':


It looks a bit scary to me but it's just a soft piece of elasticated fabric that fits over her nose and lets her know when she's barking - well I think unless she's deaf she ought to know! But it does seem to be working so she will wear it at her training class tonight and see if she can manage not to bark at all the other dogs there like she usually does.


She's giving me a cross look now for telling everyone what she's like :-)
Anyway as there haven't been any exciting outings or visits to blog about recently I thought I would make you smile with this picture of some very quiet schnauzers.... just a small part of Judith & Leigh's schnauzer toy collection:

7 comments:

  1. Hi Guys! So pleased to hear all is well, those change of season colds are horrible our human tells us. She is very interested in the calming band, do you mind telling us where you got it. Louis is an angel at home, he would let the whole town walk through the house and not bat an eyelid but if he spots another dog at a mile away when we're out then the schnauzer chorus starts! I'm the opposite (Dexter) - I don't make a peep when we're out but let anyone come within 10 feet of the front door! The humans say no wonder they never get any peace! Gtreat to hear from you all anyway, take care, dex and Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fur-brother Theo has the same problem. He is fine at home and fine with people but if he sees another dog he goes CRAZY (except with me that is.

    I on the other hand am so little still that no matter where they take me I am quiet as can be!

    Licks and Love,
    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Magic, your little sister looks like she is much the same size as you now!! I'm an excited barker too - the best barks are when people or peeps with dogs try and walk anywhere in my street and ESPECIALLY past MY house! Nothing will interrupt that barrage! Let us know if that band works!!

    Now my mum would like to ask Judith and Leigh if they have any good tips or tricks in keeping our salt and pepper schnauzer beards white. Mine looks a bit brown with "saliva stains" and we have tried "tear stain remover" on my beard without any real success. We would love to hear from you.

    Hope your household kicks the colds soon!

    Tail Wuggles, Rubie

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness! i love your schnauzer toy collection!
    oh, and barking+schnauzer i guess it's probably the number one 'problem' for our humans. I
    (yuki) bark at everything, all the time-i rarely whine, i use a barks instead. but on walks, i breathe really deep when i see dogs and humans because mom's been training me for a while not to bark. rocket is quiet most of the time at home, until we go walking, he barks at all humans and dogs and gets worse when dogs are barking at him first. something my human's are really trying to work on as well.

    take care of your human's and hope they feel well soon. :)

    ♥yuki and rocket

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear that Judith and Leigh aren't feeling well, hope they are getting better, Magic! Coco goes beserk at the sight of other animals and someone has recommended me an electric collar. He assured me that it's only static electricity but I can't bring myself to do that to Coco. That band looks better but Wawa will probably chew it off her. That's a fine collection (what? only a small part??) of tranquil schnauzers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh come on we're schnauzers. Besides looking devastatingly pawsome we do like to hear the sound of our own voice!

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gald you are all ok. I didn't know they had so many schnauzer toys there lovely. Tess is going on a play date with a schnauzer next week they are almost the same ages, I'm stopping at home for a rest
    Have a good week
    See Yea George xxx

    ReplyDelete