Tuesday 20 September 2011

Visit to Fountains Abbey


Today I went to visit Fountains Abbey with Alfie Crybbe as Judith was on holiday from work. Sadly as you will see from our pictures it was pouring with rain - but it was still a good day out - there aren't many good places like this that will let us dogs come in. Plenty of furtling opportunities here as there had been rabbits and pheasants about for sure.



Fountains Abbey was founded in 1132 and these are the largest monastic ruins in Britain. They are huge!






Here we are exploring inside - there are lots of passageways and huge windows and cloisters and altars all broken down but great to explore.

After we had walked round the abbey we set off to Studley Royal Park which is alongside the abbey. We had to go over this narrow little bridge as there are lots of man-made lakes in the Park and it is very beautiful with statues and lots of water birds - Canada geese and swans and ducks:


We had a stop for lunch and had to sit out in the rain as dogs weren't allowed in the cafe - but Judith & Leigh sat out with us and we got little snacks of cheese and ham to keep us going. On the way back Leigh took some pictures of 2 swans on one of the lakes:

 and a view of the lake up to the bridge with little waterfalls:


We were out for 3 hours and this is me when we got back to the car - just to make it worse they had been cutting the grass so I got lovely green socks too!


 I had to travel back in the crate with Alfie Crybbe so I didn't get the car seat to dirty. We had already decorated Judth & Leigh's trousers with lovely pawprints in mud. Happy days!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazing place for a walk. Here in the USA there just isn't that much old stuff like that & it fascinates my mom person.

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would have been a great day out anyway! But if it were me, I would have had to have a warm bath when I got home with those green socks an all!!

    PS: How did you go in that last show - the one you were worried about because of your little sis pulling out your beard furs??

    Tail Wuggles, Rubie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice walk! Even nicer that they let you all in but I felt so sorry to hear that you had to sit outside the cafe in the rain...:(.... cheese..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, absolutely beautiful! Plus, so much history! That's cool. ha ha I also love your greens socks, we've only gotten brown socks, maybe if we try real hard we can get us some green socks too!
    yuki and rocket

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a beautiful place! My mom has visited to an abbey in Battle East SX. She likes historical places.
    wag wag
    Matilda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Rubie - see my next blog! Bad news about the show - that scrappy beard did it for me and I came last :-( Maybe I should give up on showing and just keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so awesome that you were allowed inside! And I love those ducks and swans too!

    ReplyDelete